Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Blood Sugar Blues--Not So Blue

I had finally had my long-awaited appointment with the endocrinologist on Monday, and so far the news is all good.

One of the nurses took the usual fluid samples for the usual tests, and I'm expecting to hear more about the test results sometime in the next few days (assuming there's anything unusual to report, and there may not be). Another one checked my blood pressure and said that it's a little high, but not bad. She also did a "pin prick" test to check the degree of feeling in the big toe on each foot. They're mostly numb, but I was able to feel a little bit of what she was doing, so they're not completely numb yet.

The best news is that my blood sugar is low enough that the doctor feels I should be able to keep it under control with diet and exercise (which is what I've been doing for the last few months) and I can continue checking it just once a day.

The not-quite-so-good news is that I have poor circulation in my legs and feet (which isn't really news to me) and I've got a prescription for something that may help with that, but I'm supposed to hold off on taking it until I undergo a "Doppler test" (a form of ultrasound) to determine what sort of circulation problems I'm having. Since there's a history of heart problems in my family, I'm also going to have a stress test done to determine how well my heart is working. I don't know yet when I'm going to have either test done--someone on the doctor's staff is supposed to check on that for me and contact me later.

More news later when I have something else to report. Meanwhile, I have a front lawn that desperately needs some attention.

2 comments:

Tony said...

No updates on your tests?

ScooterOKC said...

Not yet, and I keep intending to post one but I always manage to forget to do it. Guess I need to add that to my "to do" list for this week so I won't forget again.