Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Wednesday Postcard Blogging

Last night I decided to take a break from working on photos and started going through a couple of boxes of postcards, just to see what I have (since I hadn't looked through them in a long time and only had a vague idea of what was there) and to try to consolidate them into one box (which I did). I was pleasantly surprised to discover quite a few postcards from Oklahoma and Oklahoma City, most of them from the 1950s and 1960s, along with a lot of other cards from various times and places that we've bought, received or inherited over the years.

Just for fun (and to try out more of my scanner's various bells and whistles), I've decided to start scanning and posting some of them here, starting with this one (which my grandmother sent to my aunt while she and my grandfather were here for the State Fair in 1969):



The caption on the back:


OKLAHOMA STATE FLAG

The Flag is symbolic. The tan center is an Osage warrior's buckskin shield, representing defensive or protective warfare. Across the shield runs the red man's Calumet (Peace Pipe) crossed with the white man's peace symbol, the olive branch. The small crosses are Indian stars and represent lofty ideals. The blue field represents the blue skies of Oklahoma.

No comments: